Snickerdoodles


One of my favorite breakfast treats is a piece of toast slathered with melted butter and generously sprinkled with a mixture of cinnamon and sugar.

It is almost like eating a cinnamon roll every day for breakfast, but I rationalize that the toast must be healthier since it is not also coated with a layer of frosting.

Snickerdoodles are some of my favorite cookies when I am in the mood for cinnamon.  They remind me of my first baking experiences as a child.

The original recipe had shortening instead of butter, but my thinking these days leans towards eating things that I would also eat plain.  Butter - yes.  Shortening - no.




This recipe is my favorite recipe for snickerdoodles since it is made with butter.


Snickerdoodles

1 cup butter, softened
1 1/3 cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 eggs
3 cups flour
2 teaspoons cream of tartar
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 cup sugar mixed with 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon

Whisk together flour, cream of tartar and baking soda.

In a separate bowl, beat butter and sugar until light and fluffy.  Beat in eggs and vanilla.  Add the flour mixture.

Shape dough into 1 inch balls.  Roll in the cinnamon sugar mixture to coat.  Place on prepared baking sheet and bake 375 degrees for about 12 minutes or until lightly crinkly on top.  Makes about 50 cookies.


recipe adapted from The Great Christmas Cookie Swap Cookbook