No-Bake Chocolate-Pretzel-Peanut Butter Squares

I highly recommend watching cooking shows on TV while working out.  I have found the best recipes that way - plus I feel justified eating the treats after a good workout :)

Recently I was exercising while watching Trisha's Southern Cooking and Trisha made No-Bake Chocolate-Pretzel-Peanut Butter Squares.

Chocolate, peanut butter and salty pretzels is a brilliant combination.  Add the fact that this recipe does not require baking and I had to try it.

So good!

This is a perfect recipe for kids to make.  Fast, easy and delicious.

The following recipe makes a smaller batch.  Trust me, if you are not entertaining, then make the smaller version because it is so delicious you will be tempted to eat the entire batch yourself!

Enjoy!

No-Bake Chocolate-Pretzel-Peanut Butter Squares

1 cup pretzel crumbs (coarsely grind in food processor)
3/4 cup powdered sugar
1/2 cup peanut butter (smooth is best)
6 Tablespoons melted butter
* 1/4 teaspoon vanilla (optional)

Topping:
3/4 cup chocolate chips
2 Tablespoons peanut butter

In a bowl mix together the pretzel crumbs, powdered sugar, peanut butter, melted butter and vanilla (if desired).  Press into a 9x9 pan.

Topping:
Melt the chocolate chips and the 2 Tablespoons of peanut butter in the microwave (about 20 seconds).  Stir.

Spread the topping over the crumb mixture.

Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour.

Cut into squares before serving.

*After I made this recipe I thought it would be delicious with a little bit of vanilla added to the recipe.   1/4 teaspoon works well.  I also used crunchy peanut butter because I did not have smooth.  It works, but I prefer smooth peanut butter in this recipe.



No-Bake Coconut-Chocolate-Pretzel-Peanut Butter Squares



After making the above recipe I thought it would be interesting to add shredded coconut.

After making the crumb mixture add 1/4 cup shredded coconut.  Spread the topping over the crumb mixture then sprinkle the top with about 2 Tablespoons of shredded coconut.

Refrigerate for 1 hour.


For the original recipe see Trisha's Southern Cooking on Food Network