Chocolate Shortbread Cookies

Alison Roman's famous Chocolate Chunk Shortbread Cookies on Bake Chocolate Cake
Alison Roman's Chocolate Chunk Shortbread Cookies are famous! In fact, you may have already made them.

This post is for a slightly different cookie. I decided to make the cookies smaller. I also cut them thicker to create extra crunch around the edges. I used Morena sugar (because that's what I had on hand at the time and it actually ended up creating a delicious crispy edge). I also put salt in the cookie dough (instead of on top).

When I make these again I am going to use shreds of chocolate instead of chunks. I realize this is strange coming from me, a person who loves CHOCOLATE. I think shreds of chocolate will add more flavor because the chocolate is thinner and melts faster. (I also used a really good high quality chocolate!)

Chocolate Shortbread Cookies

1 cup plus 2 Tablespoons butter
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 1/4 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
6 oz chocolate, shred with a peeler
1 egg
Zulka Morena sugar to coat

In a bowl beat butter, sugar, brown sugar and vanilla for 3-5 minutes. In a small bowl whisk together flour and salt. Add the flour to the butter mixture. Stir in the chocolate. (Note:  to create shreds of chocolate use a vegetable peeler or small knife to create thin ribbons of chocolate.)

Divide the dough to form 2 logs. The logs should be 1 inch in diameter.

Chill the logs for at least 2 hours.

In a bowl beat the egg. With a pastry brush coat all edges of the cookie logs with egg. Roll in Morena sugar.

Cut the logs into 1/2 inch thick pieces. Place the cookies 1-inch apart on a prepared cookie sheet.(Sprinkle with sea salt if desired.)

Bake 350 degrees for 12-15 minutes. Allow to cool completely.


Also try Alison's delicious recipe!
Alison's recipe for Chocolate Chunk Shortbread Cookies can be found on Bon Appetit