Max Brenner introduced me to my first slice of chocolate pizza. Since that time I have been baking various combinations of this wonderful dessert including this one where I use a chocolate crust.
Like regular pizza, the combinations are endless. For a really fun evening invite some friends over for dessert. Prepare the pizza crusts ahead of time. During the party, line up a variety of toppings and let your guests' imaginations run wild.
RECIPE #15 (from 10 Pounds of Chocolate Chips)
Chocolate Pizza Dough
1 1/2 teaspoons yeast
1/2 cup water
2 cups flour
2 Tablespoons sugar
1 Tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 Tablespoon butter
1 Tablespoon olive oil (or butter)
This dough is very fast to make in a bread machine - just follow the instructions for your machine setting on dough. Watch as the dough begins to mix. If needed, add additional water one tablespoon at a time. The dough should be soft, but not sticky.
Allow the dough to rise for about 20 minutes.
Shape the dough into a 9 or 10 inch round**. Brush with 1 Tablespoon of melted butter. Bake on a cookie sheet. 450 degrees for 15 to 20 minutes.
NOTE: ** Dough can also be shaped into smaller rounds for individual party pizzas.
Nutella (Hazelnut Spread) (about 1/4 cup)
chocolate chips (about 1/2 cup)
mini marshmallows (about 1 cup)
chopped macadamia nuts (about 1/2 cup)
These are the ingredients I used on this pizza, but the options are endless. Try adding gummy bears, chopped peanut butter cups, toffee pieces, M&M's, walnuts, toasted almonds, brownie bites, coconut or anything else that sounds delicious. For a party have all of your guests bring their favorite toppings.
Preparing the pizza
Follow these basic rules:
1. Spread Nutella on top of the baked pizza crust while it is still warm. Leave about 1/2 inch space of dough along the edge.
2. Sprinkle the top of the crust with chocolate chips and nuts (add other types of candy later)
3. Bake the pizza in a 375 degree oven just until the chocolate begins to melt (about 2 minutes)
4. Remove the pizza from the oven and add additional toppings. This is a good time to add white chocolate chips if you are using them.
5. If you are using marshmallows then save them for the very end. Sprinkle them across the top of the pizza as the very last topping. Return the pizza to the oven to toast the marshmallows. (Set on broil for about 30 seconds - or just until the marshmallows begin to brown).
6. Allow the pizza to cool for a couple of minutes before slicing.